As of the beginning of June, 554 residents in the surrounding areas of Crystal Brook, Redhill, Brinkworth and Blyth can now connect to the NBN as NBN Fixed Wireless internet service areas were turned on in May and June.
There is more good news for regional South Australia as new NBN Fixed Wireless areas are scheduled to be switched on around Port Pirie in the fourth quarter 2015, with the first one being Napperby.
The National Broadband Network (NBN) is rapidly expanding its reach through Australia and is the cornerstone to the Government’s quest to turn Australia into a leading digital economy.
This new form of technology promises to give rural Australians access to faster and more reliable internet.
Tony Bundrock, CEO of Activ8me said consumers and regional businesses that may have had inadequate broadband services can now reap the benefits of the NBN.
“Activ8me has always worked to provide internet services for regional Australia. Activ8me is now able to service 250,000 premises in regional Australia with NBN Fixed Wireless and an additional 42,000 premises within the next 12 months. For residents currently using satellite and ADSL internet technology, NBN Fixed Wireless is a significant experience upgrade with consistency of service, fast connectivity and uncapped bandwidth packages.”
On the 2nd of July, NBN also released its quarterly update to the national rollout plan, adding 10,000 South Australian homes and businesses to the rollout plan of the nbn™ network.
nbn spokesperson Chris Gregory said:
“The addition of more than 10,000 homes and businesses is great news for South Australia and really demonstrates that the rollout continues to grow. This is exciting news for the areas added to our construction schedule because it means work to build the network is expected to be underway by December 2016.”
The rollout of the NBN network continues to build momentum; more than 1 million homes and businesses across Australia are already able to connect.However, despite the NBN’s high profile in the media, many consumers are still facing confusion on how to sign up to the service, who does what and how to get connected.
Residents in the surrounding areas of Crystal Brook, Redhill, Brinkworth and Blythcan find out more information on NBN fixed wireless service areas and plans by contacting Activ8me on 13 22 88 or visiting:http://www.activ8me.net.au/crystal-brook
The green shaded areas on the map below shows the NBN fixed wireless service areas ready for residents to connect.
For more detail on the coverage areas visit our interactive map:
There are several benefits of fixed wireless, including:
- Fixed wireless offers speeds of up to 25Mbps, which is equal to or better than urban areas with ADSL 2+ services.
- From May, NBN is piloting faster speeds of up to 50Mbps download. The pilot, which is taking place on the NBN’s Fixed Wireless long-term evolution (LTE) network features up to 50Mbps down and 20Mbps upload. Activ8me customers are taking part in the pilot with a commercial launchanticipated for late 2015.
- Better speeds and more cost effective data when compared to a mobile wireless service.
- On the faster speed plans, the whole family can be online at the same time, with reliable performance.
- VoIP (Voice over IP) services work well with fixed wireless broadband giving residents an alternative cost effective option to existing copper fixed phone lines.
A small antenna is installed on the premises to pick up the signal from a fixed wireless tower.