The wait is over for more than 5,200 residents in the Tweed and Byron Shires as NBN Fixed Wireless internet service areas were turned on between 22 May and 2 June 2015.
This includes, but not limited to, Terranora, Tumbulgum, Clothiers Creek, Tygalgah,Burringbar, Billinudgel, Tyagarah, Ewingsdale and Myocum.
This new form of technology promises to give rural Australians access to faster and more reliable internet.
Tony Bundrock, CEO of Activ8me a registered NBN service provider is proud to be able serve new communities with a great digital experience:
“Activ8me has always worked to provide internet services for regional Australia. We are now able to service 165,000 premises in regional Australia with NBN Fixed Wireless, and over 5,200 eligible residents specifically in the Tweed-Byron region. We are privileged to be able to help improve the lives of the local community.
For residents currently using satellite internet technology, NBN Fixed Wireless will provide them with an improved internet experience. They will no longer have to put up with constant buffering, pages that won’t load, frustrating Skype calls and expensive data charges.”
The National Broadband Network (NBN) is rapidly expanding its reach through Australia and is the cornerstone to the Government’s quest to turn Australia into a leading digital economy.
As of the 25th May, NBN reached a milestone of 1 million premises that can connect to the NBN. Currently over 870,000 homes and businesses are experiencing faster connectivity due to the NBN.
However, despite the NBN’s high profile in the media, many consumers are still facing confusion on how to sign up to the service, who does what and how to get connected.
Residents of theTweed and Byron Shirescan find out more information on NBN fixed wireless service areas and plans by contacting Activ8me on 13 22 88 or visiting:
The green shaded area on the map below shows the NBN fixed wireless service areas ready for residents to connect.
For more detail on the Tweed-Byron coverage areas visit our interactive map:
There are several benefits of fixed wireless, including:
- Fixed wireless offers speeds of up to 25Mbps, which is equal to or better than urban areas with ADSL 2+ services.
- NBN will be trialling even faster speeds of up to 50Mbps. Activ8me will be offering this increased speed (up to 50Mbps download and 20Mbps upload) to new customers at the same cost as the 25/5Mbps speed plans until the end of July 2015.
- Better speeds and more cost effective data when compared to a mobile wireless service.
- On the faster speed plans, the whole family can be online at the same time, with reliable performance.
- VoIP (Voice over IP) services work well with fixed wireless broadband giving residents an alternative cost effective option to existing copper fixed phone lines.
A small antenna is installed on the premises to pick up the signal from a fixed wireless tower.